The two-time world welterweight champion looks as good as ever in dominant performance Saturday night on FOX PBC Fight Night.
It was complete and utter domination. Shawn Porter had his way against Sebastian Formella, pitching a 12-round shutout on all three cards to win a unanimous decision in their WBC/IBF welterweight world title eliminator Saturday night on FOX PBC Fight Night.
All of Porter’s skills were on display against a Formella who may have been unknown outside of his native Germany coming in, but gained the respect of boxing fans all over with his gritty display against one of boxing’s elite.
“He was a tough fighter,” said Porter, who is now 31-3-1 (17 KOs). “After about six rounds my dad told me that he’s going to keep taking these punches, so I just needed to keep the pressure on him.”
Formella’s best efforts weren’t enough to overcome Porter, who was at the top of his game. The Akron, Ohio product landed hard jabs on the outside and leaped in with quick lead hooks. He had the advantage in close quarters as well, pounding Formella’s ribcage with both fists.
Round after round, Porter tore into Formella with combinations. At 32, the two-time world champion possesses the hand and footspeed of a fighter 10 years his junior.
It looked as if Porter might obtain the stoppage in the seventh, as he repeatedly snapped Formella’s head back with a series of left hooks. It was more of the same in the eighth, except this time, Porter’s attack was focused to the body.
Formella (22-1, 10 KOs) never wilted. Every now and then he’d land a one-two to remind Porter that he was still there. However, he never seriously threatened to win a round, let alone the fight.
Porter punished him around the ring, never finding the KO punch but winning by scores of 120-108 on all three cards.
With the win, Porter is now in line to face the winner of the showdown between Errol Spence Jr. and Danny Garcia Saturday, November 21 on FOX Sports PBC Pay-Per-View. Last September, Spence unified the belts with a razor-thin split decision over Porter, wresting Porter’s WBC belt away in the process—the same belt Porter took from Garcia in 2018.
“Showtime” Shawn had a message for both following his victory tonight.
“I’m still here and I’m not going anywhere,” said Porter.
Not any time soon.
Sebastian Fundora impresses, stops Nathaniel Gallimore in six
It was man against boy in the co-feature and 22 year-old Sebastian Fundora was the man versus 32-year-old Nathaniel Gallimore.
Facing the toughest test of his pro career, Fundora delivered his finest performance to date, beating Gallimore down until referee Ray Corona stepped in at 1:28 of the sixth round.
With the win, Fundora (15-0-1, 10 KOs) graduates from prospect to contender at super welterweight—a formidable one at that. There isn’t a more appropriate nickname in boxing than his moniker, The Towering Inferno. At 6-foot-6, he’s taller than most heavyweights. Yet, as lanky as he is, he’s as tough and strong as they come, often bullying his foes on the inside.
That’s what he did to Gallimore (21-5-1, 17 KOs), who came into this fight brimming with confidence. The hard-hitting Chicago, Illinois resident had been in the ring with four of the best 154-pounders in the world and held a sizable advantage in pro experience over Fundora.
That confidence evaporated after the first couple rounds. Gallimore did have his moments in second, particularly toward the end of the frame, when he buzzed Fundora with a left hook.
It was all downhill from there.
Fundora pounded away, boring in and unloading with power shots from all angles to Gallimore’s head and body. The nonstop assault sapped Gallimore’s energy. He was a battered, spent force by the sixth, when the fight was stopped.
Fundora landed 168 punches out of 484 (35%) to Gallimore’s 35 out of 129 (27%).
“I give my performance a 10 out of 10,” said Fundora. “I did what I had to do tonight. We’re always working on our distance and controlling that part of the fight, because I know I’m going to need it throughout my career. Whatever my team thinks is best for me next, I’ll be ready for it.”
Joey Spencer stops Shawn West in four
Unbeaten middleweight prospect Joey Spencer put on an explosive power punching display, dropping Shawn West twice on his way to a fourth-round TKO.
Still only 20-years-old, Spencer, now 11-0 (8 KOs), fought with a poise of boxer years older. The former amateur standout patiently sized West up in the first. In the second, he began letting his hands go, forcing West back with hooks to the body.
The fight’s first knockdown occurred in the third, when Spencer landed a one-two and followed up with two more rights that caused West to take a knee.
West beat the count but wouldn’t last much longer. He was wobbled by a series of hooks in the fourth that drove him to the canvas. Referee Jerry Cantu waved it off at 1:28 of the fourth as West stumbled to his feet.
“I felt great about my performance tonight,” said Spencer. “I did everything we had been working on. After the knockdown, I took my time and threw a good flurry. We knew he was tough, so I just stayed calm and took the right shot when it came. I think the experience I’ve had so far in my career showed through in this fight.”
Justin DeLoach KO's Livan Navarro in one
Following the broadcast on FOX, additional action on FS1 featured welterweight Justin DeLoach (19-4, 10 KOs) delivering a blistering first-round knockout victory over previously unbeaten Livan Navarro (11-1, 7 KOs) 2:15 into the fight.
The FS1 telecast also saw Edward Ortiz (11-0-2, 4 KOs) score a split-decision victory over Antonio Todd (7-4, 4 KOs) in their eight-round super middleweight matchup, with one judge seeing the fight 77-75 for Todd, overruled by two judges scoring the fight 77-75 for Ortiz.
For a closer look at Porter vs Formella, check out our fight night page.