The reigning welterweight king speaks to Ray Flores about what he’s been up to, what he’s learned and who he’s targeting once boxing resumes.
Undefeated Unified World Welterweight Champion Errol Spence Jr. was this week’s guest on “Time Out with Ray Flores.”
The series airs via Instagram Live on PBC’s IG page every Monday (4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT), and features Flores interviewing a different fighter weekly.
Sporting a new beard and sounding as hungry as ever, Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) spoke on a variety of topics, including the current pandemic, his recovery from last year’s car accident and his plans once boxing resumes.
Like most Americans, Spence has spent the bulk of the past few weeks sequestered in his home, watching old fights, shows like Ozark and spending time with his two daughters, Ivy and Violet.
“I just watch a lot of TV and play with my kids,” Spence said. “They’re not in school right now, so I’m teaching them ABC’s and 123’s and stuff like that. It’s been good times just hanging out with them. But I’m ready to get back in the swing of things, get some fights under my belt and get back in it.”
However, the reigning WBC and IBF 147-pound king notes that the time off has given him more recovery time from his single-car accident last October.
“I’m fully healthy now and ready to get back in the swing of things,” Spence declared. “I’ve been feeling great. I actually went to the Cleveland Clinic, they evauluated me, checked out my brain, basically everything, my whole body. They said everything has been good and I’m recovering well.
“I think I’m fully recovered now and they feel I’m fully recovered. I’m going to go back after this is all over with and get checked out by them again.”
“ So hopefully I’ll fight Danny Garcia this year, [Manny] Pacquiao…I’m looking for big names. ” Undefeated Unified World Welterweight Champion - Errol Spence Jr.
Spence expects to return as good or better than he was before the accident. If anything has changed, it’s his outlook on life.
“That whole accident put my boxing career in perspective, put my family in perspective, basically everything. I’m taking it a lot more serious now, as far as training, dieting, making sure I don’t blow up too heavy in weight and things like that. I’ve got a second chance at living, spending time with my family and kids and everything like that.”
Spence was originally slated to return in July or August. Those plans were scrapped in light of current events. The goal now is to return in September or October. As always, “The Truth” wants all the smoke.
“I’m not shying away from Danny Garcia, I’m not shying away from Keith Thurman, I’m not shying away from Terence Crawford, I’m, not shying away from Shawn Porter…the guys that I’ve been wanting to fight, I want to fight.
“So hopefully I’ll fight Danny Garcia this year, [Manny] Pacquiao…I’m looking for big names.”
In the meantime, Spence will continue to train as he awaits the announcement of his next fight date and prays for the current crisis to be resolved.
“I want to tell everyone during this time to stay in the house, stay away from people as much as you can, stay close to your love ones, speak to your love ones. I’m just praying for everybody and hopefully we get through this tough time…stay gloved up, keep the mask on and keep praying for everybody. That’s all we can do.”
For a closer look at Errol Spence Jr, check out his fighter page.