Robert Guerrero is in the midst of a trend that has seen him alternate wins and losses in his last six contests. The former world champion is hoping that trend continues for just one more fight.
Returning to action for the first time since his loss to Danny Garcia in a battle for a 147-pound world title, Robert Guerrero (33-4-1, 18 KOs) will face Argentina’s David Emanuel Peralta (25-2-1, 14 KOs) on August 27 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California (Spike, 9 p.m. ET/PT).
In addition to the main event, an all-Mexican brawl is scheduled between longtime contender Alfredo Angulo (24-5, 20 KOs) of Coachella, California, and onetime 147-pound title challenger Freddy Hernandez (33-8, 22 KOs) of Mexico City. Also, rising 154-pound prospect and 2012 U.S. Olympian Terrell Gausha (18-0, 9 KOs) of Cleveland will risk his unbeaten record against Steve Martinez (16-2, 13 KOs) of Bronx, New York.
All three bouts are scheduled for 10 rounds.
Guerrero has been idle since January 23, when he dropped a tough unanimous decision to Garcia in Los Angeles in a fight for the 147-pound world title vacated by Floyd Mayweather Jr. It was the third failed attempt for "The Ghost” at becoming a 147-pound champion, having previously lost title bouts to Mayweather (May 2013) and Keith Thurman (March 2015), both by unanimous decision.
In between those defeats, Guerrero earned victories over Yoshihiro Kamegai (unanimous decision, June 2014) and Aron Martinez (split decision, June 2015).
Prior to his current 2-3 stretch, Guerrero had won 15 consecutive fights over a 6½-year span, culminating with a unanimous decision over Andre Berto in November 2012 in a fight for an interim 147-pound title.
“I'm very excited to get back in the ring,” said Guerrero, a 33-year-old native of Gilroy, California. “This is an exciting time for boxing fans across the world. It’s a blessing to be making my fourth appearance on the PBC series.”
In Peralta, Guerrero will be challenging a hard-nosed native of Cordoba, Argentina, who has been out of the ring since May 2015, when he defeated Guillermo de Jesus Paz by eight-round unanimous decision.
Peralta, who will turn 34 on August 31, is 5-1-1 in his last seven contests, the one blemish being a 10-round split decision against Cristian Nestor Romero in April 2015. Peralta’s only other defeat came by fifth-round TKO to Claudio Alfredo Olmedo in July 2011.
The rumble with Guerrero will mark the U.S. debut for Peralta, whose entire 11-year professional career has been spent competing in his home country.
“Everyone knows fighters from Argentina always come to fight, so I must be prepared and I’m expecting a war,” Guerrero said. “All combat sports fans should be tuning in to see this all-action fight between two warriors. Expect to see fireworks, like all my fights.”
For a complete look at Guerrero vs Peralta, visit our fight page.